How do I love me? Let me count the ways...

Saturday, May 13, 2006
Does anyone ever get to a point where they are tired of loving themsleves? I mean beyond taking care of yourselves like food and water, rest, all that stuff? But beyond that when do we get so tired of serving ourselves? Better yet why do we do it over and over?

Things are crazy as I am starting to see that true initmacy will never happen while taking care of my own wants and needs. I keep coming back to me and then when thigns are done and the guilt or whatever sits in, all I can think about are others and how I failed them. Becasue all I have done is/was serve myself. Yet I do it over and over and will do so yet again.

It's the basic seven sins...well most of them for me at least, sloth (lazy), greed (me want me want me want), lust (sex), pride (the root of self), gluttony (eat alot or bad foods), then there are envy and wrath but those are two that deal with your reaction towards others. The other five are the sins of self.

Now the tricky part of it is I can see at times how these sins (to make a long story short) come between me and intimacy with God or even others. As I look towards my own wants an needs rather than others.

So how can I turn self off or at least turn down the volume and listen to what or how I can become initmate with God and then intimate with others to love and to serve them. This is a quest and a part of my journey and this is also the danger line for me. This is where guilt comes in or despair and all that fun negative stuff.

This is where I fall off the road. Now one thing I have been pondering, yet not enough, was from my counseling session is to not look on the past and dwell upon it (I even should apply that to today's bad days) and to not think of it as something bad or let it sadden me. Yet to look at it and make it a part of the whole story, a part of who I am and have become. It to is a part of the journey and not just a random occurance.

See what was meant for evil and sorrowful away from God, hurt, apin, sorry, anything and see how God can use that today. Even with self I get wrapped up in my self in there here and now. On a good day I see the small picture but not the whole picture. Same thing with the past or current bad events...I need to focus on it being the whole part. So I guess I am short sighted in more ways than one.

This is where I stand seeing myself in the now and not intimacy with God in the future.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (phillipians 3:12-14)


Still we should not forget the past and present badness, it is still a part of the whole story.

This was not the verse I was looking for but it does seem to apply in other ways.
Shining as Stars
12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16as you hold out[c] the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. 17But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. 18So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.( Phillipains 2:12-18)

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane Viere said...

I love when people discover that God will take our ashes and bring glory out of them.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Brilliant post!

diane

Monday, May 15, 2006 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

daily.verse

script provided by biblegateway.com

Join me at: SparkPeople.com

Get a Free Online Diet

Special.Collections


  • A Journey Becoming
  • On the Job: Evil Tom Saga

    journey.tom


  • My Diet blog - hosted by SparkPeople.com
  • blogger.profile
  • my.story
  • AIM: JustCoolTom

    who.said.what


  • Commenter // Comment
  • Blogger Diane Viere // said...

    previous.journies


  • Idle hands...
  • New adventures daily...
  • My first day back...
  • Archaic
  • Still one day at a time.
  • Travel itenerary
  • In my heart I always knew...
  • Crash
  • Clouded judgement
  • Sitting back down for a spell
  • journies.archive


  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • links.tom


  • My Writings
  • My photography blog
  • Mr. Branch Photography
  • sojourn.community

    links.other


  • The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Relevant Magazine
  • Bible Gateway
  • Bible.com
  • XXX Church
  • Dave Ramsey
  • For Faith and Family
  • Pure Life Ministries

    sojourn.blogs


  • Bobby
  • Paul
  • Jason
  • Lorie
  • Nikki
  • Nick
  • Lindsay
  • Jesse
  • Jessica

    blogs.other


  • Heather Gemmen
  • Joshua Harris
  • Misha
  • Rabby

    blogroll.christian


    Thy way, not mine, O lord


    Thy way, not mine, O Lord,
    However dark it be;
    Lead me by Thine own hand,
    Choose out the path for me.

    Smooth let it be or rough,
    It will be still the best;
    Winding or straight, it leads
    Right onward to Thy rest.

    I dare not choose my lot;
    I would not, if I might;
    Choose Thou for me, my God,
    So I shall walk aright.

    Take Thou my cup, and it
    With joy or sorrow fill,
    As best to Thee may seem;
    Choose Thou my good and ill.

    Choose Thou for me my friends,
    My sickness or my health;
    Choose Thou my cares for me
    My poverty or wealth.

    The kingdom that I seek
    Is Thine: so let the way
    That leads to it be Thine,
    Else I must surely stray.

    Not mine, not mine the choice
    In things or great or small;
    Be Thou my Guide, my Strength
    My Wisdom, and my All.

    ~Horatius Bonar